Friday, August 26, 2016

we Want what we Want


Over the past 5-8 years I have become an avid reader and viewer of the news. Generally I stick to a few basics, CNN, NPR, and sometimes MSNBC. I try to stay away from news outlets that include too much opinion - coming from the anchors themselves- but it's not always that easy. My general routine looks a little something like this:

  1. Wake up: Turn on the TV (well unmute the TV or turn the volume up...what can I say I sleep with it on!), CNN is already on based on what was on the night before. 
  2. Get ready while listening to CNN and attempting not to get too distracted by the most up to date "shenanigan" of our political party candidates, olympians, and others and leave for work 
  3. In my car, if the radio is playing, NPR is on and the follow up or additional details to what I likely heard on TV begin to play with a few additional stories that I would consider to be 'real news' rather than attention grabbers. 
  4. Throughout my work day, I may check social media or CNN's mobile app to read additional stories
  5. Before bed my TV goes back on and while settling down to sleep and incredulously take in the remainder of the day's "news" have a phone call and attempt to fall asleep.  
In the beginning of this round of campaigns, I found myself glued to the TV. I was unable to to fathom the actions of some, the level of commentary and ignorance from others, and finally constant disrespect for the honor that is the highest office in the world. I have to admit that there was a level of excitement or curiosity each evening thinking "I wonder what's going to happen next," or "Could he or she say anything worse?" or even "is it possible that people truly won't understand the depths of the problem this time?" But, over time, I have found myself less intrigued and often more and more disgusted and mystified by what I see and hear. My curiosity has given way to resignation and many nights of preferring to stay in the dark than standing in the light of the current state of our country.

For years, I have prided myself of staying engaged, updated, and knowledgeable on the "state of the union." But now, it seems that being knowledgeable simply means being constantly reminded of how inadequate our system is, how mediocre our criteria for leadership has become, and just how rose colored the glasses of some individuals are.

A few nights ago, a former Lieutenant Governor of NY stated that the school to prison pipeline does not exist, while in the same breath denying the existence of systemic racism in America. Every night talking heads regurgitate stats to prove that one candidate is right while refuting truths - based on those same stats- to indicate that another candidate must be wrong.  The truth that our perception is our reality has never been more clear to me. Those who claim that injustices and systems of oppression to not exist, have the luxury of living in a world where their identity is accepted and praised. A world where it seems preposterous for someone to claim that the privileges they've received, unknowingly and yet willingly, are available for everyone. That world -where the perception of equality is evident while the reality of injustice and centuries old statutes created for oppression reign strong, and the truths lie below the surface, hidden enough to continue yet blatant enough to take the lives of far too many, allows for some to see roses while others feel the thorns.

The news has become a platform for commentators to spew hatred, blindness to truths, and opinions rather than facts. It has become exhausting, not only to watch and listen to the news, but to decipher the news, from the entertainment. I am a fan of hearing multiple arguments and learning from both sides of an issue, but when my daily news intake sounds more like reality TV than a forum for knowledge sharing and engagement with the events and status of our country I know that something has gone wrong.

I am fascinated with the truth that on a strictly political note, we as a people have accepted the state of the "2016 Race for the White House." It is evident to me the impact of our social media driven, reality TV inspired, and video game enthused society has truly been realized. It is possible for people to separate elements of reality and to see truths and falsehood at the same time. People look at political candidates the way that they see reality TV stars, real but not real. The trouble is, a political candidate is REAL and their presidency, congressional term or governorship, will have real impact on your life. Despite the theatrics of politics and the curiosity or excitement, elections are real choices, and it often feels like the depth and girth of the decisions we make as voting citizens is beginning to dwindle.

As our country moves forward, I truly hope that a voice will be given to the realities of nation. The truths of the dependencies in the lives individuals live, the privileges that come with race and often class, and the depths of the racial injustices that exist. No one wants to be called a racist, just as no mother wants to get the call that an officer's latent racial bias led to the death of her child. No individual wants to hear that school systems are feeding the "school to prison pipeline," the same as no person wants to be caught in it. My hope is that the news will begin to share the facts that cannot be denied rather than the continuous stream of opinions from individuals who all want the wold to be how they see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment